Revmaster 2300 voltage regulator

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Revmaster 2300 voltage regulator

Postby Eckenroth » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:18 pm

For those who are running the R2300 with Revmaster supplied voltage regulators, I would like to know what your voltage output number is.

Thanks
Paul
Eckenroth

Re: Revmaster 2300 voltage regulator

Postby Matt541 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:12 am

Don't know if this will help, but I have a Revmaster 2200 and running on the ground I get 14.0-14.1 volts. This is also with the PC625 battery.

Joe at Revmaster says if you're seeing 14.6 volts or above then you need to be able to only run one "alternator" at a time instead of both. For whatever reason, he says it's more of an issue when using the Odyssey batteries. Same deal on my 2200, but it seems to be more of a known/ more documented issue with the 2300s.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby flyingbear » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:27 pm

I have a brand new R2300 and am running only one alternator at a time. After just about 20 hours my stator burned up while not at my home airport. This happened to my other R2300 engine years ago and I am told it is because of my running an Odyssey battery. This is a difficult repair on the ramp so I am letting everyone know.....I will NOT be using Odyssey batteries ever again. BTW I have 3 PC625s for sale now......cheap.
Glen Bradley
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Postby tx_swordguy » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 pm

The problem with the revmaster odyssey setup is the battery will take everything and more that the stator/alternator can throw at it. The problem comes when the battery gets drained the regulators are designed to charge at a high rate until it gets close to charged and then backs off. With the odyssey it allows ALL the juice the stator will throw at it until the stator burns up. I know this because a friend had this happen as we flew back from oshkosh yr before. If at all possible have the output separate from both sides, or have one side charge the battery and one side run your avionics. He has since disconnected one side of the alternator. The battery is fine you just have to understand what is happening, that lesson cost $800. If it is low or hard to start it would be best to only have one side charging it. It will get your attention when you just take off and smell smoke
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Return to Other Engines