Engine don’t run well when hot

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Engine don’t run well when hot

Postby Pomec » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:28 pm

I have a 2276 with an aeroinjector, it’s run well on flight but when I land it’s running very roughly on idle.
My 2 mags are ok
Thanks for the help
Pomec

Re: Engine don’t run well when hot

Postby lakespookie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:23 am

With out any additional data it is very difficult if not impossible to really give you solid advice, I would start with pulling plugs and seeing what they look like maybe going lean or rich on the ground depending on your installation. How are your temps, I am not a huge fan of compression tests but it would not hurt to see if you had a totally dead cylinder or bad valve seat that may be somoothed out at higher RPM or Engine Loading. You could also have a timing issue mags might be fine but the timing may be slightly off in idle or under minimal loading.

I am sure others will have other possible things you can look at but honestly its just a shot in the dark.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby Pomec » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:28 am

It’s a new engine
Lot of power on hi rpm
Pomec

Postby tx_swordguy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:31 am

2 possibilities, both fuel related. one you are getting "the burps" look it up. The fix is basically getting rid of the gascolator and insulating the fuel lines. Two, you need to adjust/change your needle because you are either too rich or too lean at idle. I tend to think it is the second one. You cannot leave your mixture in one place from full throttle to idle with the aeroinjector. I have found it better to lean to the point of dying at idle.
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Return to Other Engines