Anyone considered an Epex engine (Yamaha) ?

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Anyone considered an Epex engine (Yamaha) ?

Postby lakespookie » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:49 pm

I am very interested by the APEX/EPEX, but i do have concerns about power system and other items so we will see what happens. Also at least 1 year + away from FWF and engine mounts are a concern. my original thought was that i would go aeromomentum but there is alot of additional costs beyond just the engine costs so. have been reconsidering my options.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:11 pm

There were a couple of these at the Oshkosh STOL competition. One of them sounded like crap:
https://youtu.be/dAVmBUcEhVU?t=66

One of them sounded awesome.
https://youtu.be/WXhHFAmcftM?t=311

I've started these videos at the relative mark - but the youtu_be button didn't work.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby WaiexB22 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:28 pm

I am working on a Waiex model B. I am planning to use the apex 4 cylinder naturally aspirated. I am going to develop the motor mount myself and I plan to use a skytrax gearbox with a wiring harness and computer from BD turnkey. I have the engine and plan to order the gearbox and other components soon. I am working on the wings now. Once those are done I am going to turn to the FWF. It may be slow, but I will try to post updates on the forum or on youtube if I am able.
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby Spinnetti » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:59 pm

WaiexB22 wrote:I am working on a Waiex model B. I am planning to use the apex 4 cylinder naturally aspirated. I am going to develop the motor mount myself and I plan to use a skytrax gearbox with a wiring harness and computer from BD turnkey. I have the engine and plan to order the gearbox and other components soon. I am working on the wings now. Once those are done I am going to turn to the FWF. It may be slow, but I will try to post updates on the forum or on youtube if I am able.

Nice, I'd like to do exactly the same. Please share your journey! I have no idea about cost, but would love to know more.... 3cyl turbo tuned to the same 150hp seems interesting too, though more plumbing - but at low boost not sure an intercooler would even be needed.
Spinnetti

Postby WaiexB22 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:15 pm

I just created a photo log on here and I will try to keep it updated.

http://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=7422&p=56082&hilit=yamaha#p56082
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Previous

Return to Other Engines