Anyone considered an Epex engine (Yamaha) ?

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Anyone considered an Epex engine (Yamaha) ?

Postby Aussiecat » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:34 am

Just another curiosity question, has anyone considered using a Epex( yamaha) conversion? Not the Honking big 300HP, but the 150HP variant. I know the company in Norway(Edge performance) also does uprated engines base on the Rotax 912 platform, I think up to 155 HP(?)
Their North American distributor is about an hour south of me, here in Alberta Canada

Tim
Aussiecat

Re: Anyone considered an Epex engine (Yamaha) ?

Postby GordonTurner » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 pm

And I believe it was edge that first did a turbo aerovee years ago, then upgraded to a turbo’d rotax, all in their sonex. Videos on youtube
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby lakespookie » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:31 pm

I have looked at it but that 22000 price tag looks a bit much compared to say an aeromomentum
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby Hephaestus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:05 pm

I've been eyeballing the 160hp nytro version personally. Wondering when edge will come out with their version; since the 4cyls are drying up.

Edge's crate motors are pretty pricey yes. But a factory crate motor is 6k+/- + 3500 for the skytrax gearbox - Various options for wiring harnesses & ecu. No expectation of a FWF kit that works out of the box, so the rest is likely things I'd have to fabricate anyway.

Like you I'm in alberta, so badass being up the road is an influence...
Hephaestus

Postby Kai » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:50 am

I should’nt think so.

Living close to Edge, I visited the shop yesterday. It’s a good thing they are relocating to much larger premises shortly, because there is no more any vacant floor space: there are 4-cyls in crates stacked up everywhere. The shop looks more like a 4-cyl Yammie warehouse. To me it does not look like there will be a shortage of cores anytime in the forseeable future.

When you see these things hanging in the test rig doing their initial load runs, three things are immediately apparent. One is the turbine like sound. Two is the small size of the finished product with PSRU: it actually goes inside the R912ULS volume. Three are the hefty dimensions of the intercooler: I would’nt be able to tell where to put it under the Sonex cowling- not to mention supplying its cooling air. And you will also need to find a suitable space for the coolant radiator- good luck with that :-)

Thanks
Kai
Sonex #0525
EP915ECI
Kai

Postby Hephaestus » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:01 am

Yeehaw 7 kind of points the way... Although cowl on the sonex doesn't have that flat space below the prop for the intercooler. And that's for the 300hp, I don't think anyone's planning on using that one?

Or you follow Thomas/Edge's 912 in a sonex - and just use those stock cowl inlets and 2 radiators.

It's a different sound - I'll give you that. The turbo version sounds much nicer to me than the NA; But that could be the muffler used on the local NA too.

So it edge just having problems finding them in norway then? I'm a bit confused, he posted the other day on the yamaha aircraft facebook he'd found just one more NIB crate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1648649 ... 870833029/
Hephaestus

Postby Kai » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:07 am

Well, yes

You could have a point here.

Actually, I have no idea where the cores come from- I just see that they keep coming in. Nationally the use of snowmobiles is severely restricted by authorities, so our actual population of all makes must be limited- and hence the supply of cores from dismantled machines. However, Edge operates worldwide and does not seem worried.

I would speculate that most of the cores are used and that a new crate engine nib as announced the other day is a real boon.

Witnessing the total tear down of a used engine has to be seen to be believed- they look like new inside: and there is hardly any wear at all on critical parts. When the thing emerges from the shop with the psru ready for the test, it’s just shining!

Thanks
Kai
Sonex #0525
EP915ECI
Kai

Postby BRS » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:39 am

Before I ordered my RevMaster (still waiting for it) I had considered an Epex. Two things stopped me. One, I didn't want to invest the energy to design and build a mount. Two, just eye-balling the engine it looks like we might have trouble keeping with-in the top cowl and still center the prop. I don't mind modifying the bottom cowl but don't want a bump on the top where I'll see it in flight.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Hephaestus » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:45 pm

BRS wrote:Before I ordered my RevMaster (still waiting for it) I had considered an Epex. Two things stopped me. One, I didn't want to invest the energy to design and build a mount. Two, just eye-balling the engine it looks like we might have trouble keeping with-in the top cowl and still center the prop. I don't mind modifying the bottom cowl but don't want a bump on the top where I'll see it in flight.

Generally unless you're going outside the box, using the skytraxusa gearbox - it fits within the space of the vw and 912. So shouldn't need a bump - dimensions are on the yamaha aircraft fb group for the 2/3/4cyl. And there's a huge 1.2gb 3d scan of a 4cyl floating around (grabcad?) if your computer has the CPU/GPU/RAM to play nicely with it.

Bigger headache is if you're looking at the smaller (2/3cyl) versions - is they're lighter than the recommended engines.
Hephaestus

Postby WDKINLEY » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:59 pm

Bumpin this thread to see if anyone else has thoughts on these engines lately.

The sheer options available are incredible.

You could run the 2 cylinder phazer 80hp n/a or turbo (with adding front weight to the nose)
You could run the 3 cylinder nytro 135 hp n/a or turbo (weight would be close) - the three cylinders came in carb or efi
You could run the 4 cylinder apex 150 hp na or turbo (weight would be close) - the 4 cylinders were all efi IIRC.

I think you could do a tidy install on all of them.... although you would have to add a radiator AND intercooler to the turbo which would be difficult. Less difficult on a phazer turbo.

gearboxes are supported for all of them. One possible difficulty is getting a muffler in the cowl.

Apparently the 4 cylinder is physically smaller than the 3.... but I haven't taken a tape to measure them.

I don't imagine it would be too long before someone undertakes a project like this in a Sonex.
WDKINLEY

Next

Return to Other Engines