Viking Engine

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Viking Engine

Postby Goodflight777 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:18 pm

That would unquestionably be the best thing for him to do. However, he obviously needs the financial resources to do that. That can only be generated from a viable business. If the Viking engine fails from an excess of negative publicity crippling the business, the resources won't be there. Also, continued negative commentary creates a siege mentality, and will predictably make him less likely to have a generous turn of mind, if the Viking engine eventually becomes successful. So, in a counterintuitive way, those who lost money on the Suburu venture actually have more likelihood of eventual reimbursement, by being less persistent in negative commentary.
Goodflight777

Postby vigilant104 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:21 pm

Goodflight777 wrote:That can only be generated from a viable business. If the Viking engine fails from an excess of negative publicity crippling the business, the resources won't be there. Also, continued negative commentary creates a siege mentality, and will predictably make him less likely to have a generous turn of mind, if the Viking engine eventually becomes successful.

I don't think people want to be in the position of hoping that another individual has a "generous turn of mind." People don't want generosity--they want what they paid for.
A hypothetical situation: If I had burned a lot of customers, if I had been secretive and arbitrary, I would not expect much sympathy from the marketplace in the future. I'd either give up on being in business for myself, or I'd realize that people would now demand some guarantees from me. Because of my track record, I'd probably need to find an investor to front my effort, to pay for testing, and I'd realize I need to set up an ironclad escrow account for new buyers so they could be assured of getting their money back if my business folded. I sure wouldn't expect a new batch of customers to come forward (again) and be my testing crew (at their expense). If I elected not to take these steps, just to pretend that bygones were bygones and hope that a new crop of customers would come my way, I'd not be surprised if the takers were few and the internet was full of warnings to anyone who asked about me and my efforts. But, that's just me in a hypothetical situation, you understand.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby Goodflight777 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 pm

The pure logic of the Jan situation is:
* No one has any chance of being paid back if Viking fails (since there will be no money to pay back).
* The constant negative online commentary increases the likelihood of Viking failure.
* Therefore the negative commentary reduces the chances of being paid back.

But the idea of an escrow account is a good one, for any high risk business for that matter.
Goodflight777

Postby Rynoth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Goodflight777 wrote:The pure logic of the Jan situation is:
* No one has any chance of being paid back if Viking fails (since there will be no money to pay back).
* The constant negative online commentary increases the likelihood of Viking failure.
* Therefore the negative commentary reduces the chances of being paid back.

But the idea of an escrow account is a good one, for any high risk business for that matter.

For those of us with no skin in this game, following your logic leads to:

* Avoid this product and its distributor at all costs.

Honestly, your post(s) has more of a feeling of a threat than anything else. From what I've read (as a novice builder) of your first 4 posts on this forum, you sound like an advocate/employee of Viking that's trying to repair a reputation, but the statements you're making (generous turn of mind, chances of being paid back...) are really raising the eyebrows of myself, and I imagine any others who are new to this... scenario.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby daleandee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:28 pm

Rynoth wrote: From what I've read (as a novice builder) of your first 4 posts on this forum, you sound like an advocate/employee of Viking that's trying to repair a reputation, but the statements you're making (generous turn of mind, chances of being paid back...) are really raising the eyebrows of myself, and I imagine any others who are new to this... scenario.

Jan has been on other lists under assumed names trying to advocate the merits of himself and the Viking engine. Jan, is that you? LOL!

Sorry ... he gets what he deserves. If he's a crook that rips people off and refuses to pay back what he owes, which is the way it has been so far, I'm gonna continue to warn people to avoid him like the plague. If he really wants to turn his business around he will start with his reputation. You see ... when a man has lost his integrity he really isn't worth doing business with.

BTW, I not against new engines and I believe the Honda Fit conversion will be a good one. Raven Rotorcraft Redrives is closing in on releasing their version of the Honda Fit/Jazz engine. Reputable company that will do the required research and get it right and not "take the money and run" if something should go wrong.

http://www.raven-rotor.com/

FWIW,

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby fastj22 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Using the same logic, if Bernie Madoff were released from jail and started a new investment company, everyone should invest with him so that he can use his proceeds to pay off the people he ripped off previously.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby daleandee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:37 pm

fastj22 wrote:Using the same logic, if Bernie Madoff were released from jail and started a new investment company, everyone should invest with him so that he can use his proceeds to pay off the people he ripped off previously.

Glad I wasn't drinking coffee as I read that! I nearly hurt myself laughing so hard at how funny the truth of the matter is when you put it that way!

Thanks ... I needed that!

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby Don Bowen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:02 pm

Just one data point, but I found dealing with Jan to be easy, pleasant and not a problem at all. He delivered everything I needed for my Viking (engine, prop, cowlings, ECU, etc) as promised on time without delays or hassles. He has been easy to deal with and has promptly answered my questions.
Don Bowen

Postby chris » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:23 am

I have locked this thread. The topic has been beaten to death. The feelings about the Viking engine and its owner have been made clear. People from both viewpoints have stated their opinions. I do not think it is beneficial to continue the 24 page discussion.

If anyone has technical reasons for discussion about the engine please start a new topic.

Thanks

Chris
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Other Engines