Anyone have a CAMit 3300?

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Anyone have a CAMit 3300?

Postby Twintwo3 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:32 am

I was going to check out a 2nd hand Waiex with a CAMit 3300 later this week, plane is still in phase one testing with 17 hours on the engine. I'm not sure how I feel about it though.

Does anyone have any advice or information about this engine or concerns? I know the company went under 2016 but from what I understand it still shares alot of parts with a Jabiru 3300? My concern is getting parts and support since it is an engine no longer made by a company that doesn't exist.

I saw a post on another forum that there was an issue with CAMit at 500 hours with a "gudgeon pin coming out" and destroyed the engine case. Is there anyone here that has a CAMit powered plane or have any insight especially on the reliability and maintenance of this engine? Any information would be great.
Twintwo3

Re: Anyone have a CAMit 3300?

Postby racaldwell » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:15 am

Yes, I have #088. I am in ph 1 still with 35 hrs on the Camit 3300. No issues with the engine. It runs fine and starts quickly. Which is welcome because it is in a Xenos so I fly around without the engine and start it up when I get below 1,000 ft agl. The #4 CHT gets to 175-180C on climb out so I have to limit full power and lower airspeed time. It then drops below 175C after about a minute from reducing power and lowering the nose.

The engine has a lot of power for the airframe. I can exceed Vne straight & level at full power. I've seen 2000 fpm climb but 1500 fpm sustained is obtainable. on the cool days when I can keep in full power longer.

Kevin in England has some of the specialty Camit parts available but those are made in batches so timing when needed could be an issue.

I think you have a good opportunity in front of you. These engines are a rarity.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057 35 hrs Tach, 3 hrs soaring
racaldwell

Postby Twintwo3 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:05 pm

Thank you makes me feel better I think I'm leaning more towards picking it up . I'll let you guys know.
Twintwo3

Postby DCASonex » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:59 pm

I have been flying a 3300 CAMit in my A series tail dragger since 2014, it is serial number 0004, first in the US and first in a Sonex. It now has about 310 hours on it. and runs great. The first 10 or so CAMit engines had hard alloy piston rings that gave early problems and all cylinders were replaced by CAMit. Their is a small company on the UK that bought much of the rights to the engine and is offering many critical parts if ever needed. I am using a more or less standard Bing carb on mine. Due to unique cylinder honing process (cylinders are not round until installed) the 17 hours is more than enough to have the engine fully broken in. If purchasing this, suggest you register with the Jabiru / Camit forum. (the current owner can probably refer you to that.)

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Twintwo3 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:51 pm

Thanks I'm glad you hear yours runs great, I'll go and take a look at the jabiru/camit fourm.
Twintwo3

Return to Other Engines