AeroInjector on Revmaster

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Rotec MKII on Revmaster

Postby BRS » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:06 pm

I'm reviving this old thread but now I'll have to call it 'MKII on Revmaster" since the AeroInjector is shelved and replaced by the Rotec.
My original goal was to be able to use the installed RV snout (pics in earlier posts above) for cool ram-air but turned out that was not very compatible with the AeroInjector nor the RevFlow carb either. Fast forward to yesterday's ground test. I now have the Rotec MKII installed and tuned (flown twice), and since the Paul at the factory told me ram-air on the MKII would work fine, the next step was to plumb the MKII to the snout. Did a tied-down full throttle test yesterday which showed not only 3100 rpm (same as before) but the max fuel flow actually increased from 8gph to 8.5 gph. All this with no change in fuel tank venting. So in baby steps I'm working confidently toward a flight test and waiting on drier weather. It's understood that flight speeds may produce different results than just static prop blasts.

To make the connection from the MKII to the snout a 3d part was drawn up and printed from Nylon-6.
Snout-filter_Adaptor.jpg

It took some time to figure out how to make the connection. Options were to make the connection then close the cowl -or- close the cowl then make the connection. This is what I came up with (pic). I can sort of manipulate the snout-adapter into place while closing the cowl then reach in the front and align it after closing the cowl. The spring scat tube pushes the adaptor into place and holds it. This is nice so when opening the cowl, no special precautions are needed to disconnect the scat. It just pulls out of the snout as shown.
Snout-scat.jpg

Here is what it looks like from the front. After closing the cowl, a hook is used to give a tug on the adaptor to make sure it is seated then the foam filter is set in place from the outside. The filter, btw, is cut from a Brackett Aero Filter BA6108 which goes on some Cessnas.
Snout-plumbed.jpg

I hope to post again about this after a flight test.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Re: AeroInjector on Revmaster

Postby BRS » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:04 pm

Got to test fly this with ram air today. In short, the engine didn't lean out and quite once getting to flying speed. I'm sorry I forgot the data card in the Xtreme EMS as reading the data on a flight like this is always a highlight. I recall the full throttle rpm at a slight climb (the speed will be on the data card) was 3270 @ 7.5 gph. That's about 100 rpm higher than I'm used to.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Re: Rotec MKII on Revmaster

Postby BRS » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:55 am

Still fine tuning things on the Rotec MKII. When I first setup the primer cable it was configured to pull-for-prime. But this turned out to be inconvenient since my starter button is push-to-start and I wanted to be able to prime and crank a the same time with the same hand. Couldn't figure out how to pull on the primer and push on the starter at the same time.

So yesterday was spent cobbling the linkage below for a push-to-prime solution. When I google the MKII for pictures/examples I don't find very many. So I wanted to be sure to post this, so far untested, solution pic for the search engine bots to pic up.
Attachments
PhotoCollage_1708052682928.jpg
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Previous

Return to Other Engines