Revmaster VS Aerovee?

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Revmaster VS Aerovee?

Postby dldihs » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:37 pm

I am considering buying a Onex kit. Does anyone operate one with a current model (not 2100D) Revmaster?
Alternatively, how about a non-AeroVee VW engine like a Great Plains or Bob Hoover flywheel drive? Do you think the factory cowl moldings will still work? I know for either engine there would likely need an alternative mount truss replacing the AeroVee mount.
Thank you.
dldihs

Re: Revmaster VS Aerovee?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:15 pm

I think a flywheel side conversion would be pretty clunky cowl wise in a Sonex. Many "conventional" VW conversions flying in Sonexes. The cowl is not very roomy in the front. I love my Aerovee.

Welcome to the forum!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:28 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I think a flywheel side conversion would be pretty clunky cowl wise in a Sonex. Many "conventional" VW conversions flying in Sonexes. The cowl is not very roomy in the front. I love my Aerovee.

There is a Sonex builder that is putting a flywheel end drive VW on his build. It makes a lot of sense really as that is the business end of the engine. We use the transmission (business) end of the Corvair and the William Wynne conversion places the flywheel on the front like many certified engines do.

Having the flywheel in front means a better cowling can be used with a real spinner that aids cooling & (IMHO) makes the front of the Sonex not quite so homely looking. 8~) I find it to be a very muscular look (again IMHO):

daleandee

Postby onex28 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:03 am

I have a Revmaster in my tri gear Onex. I had to cut the cross bar on the engine mount and replace it with a
curved piece that Revmaster made. It bolts onto the upper mount bolts. If you build a conventional gear Onex you may not have to do this. If you talk to Revmaster they can advise you. Otherwise the cowl fits without any major modifications. The Onex baffling kit wil work with some modification for the intake.

David W
onex28

Postby BRS » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:59 pm

The R2300 on the Sonex-A conventional gear also gets the cross-bar cut out. Only the replacement is straight not curved. It's a very easy mod.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby BRS » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:50 pm

I asked Joe at Revmaster how the rear seal was done on the R2300 compared to the Aerovee. Here is his reply....

Seal contac surface not the same. AreoVee has a 8 dowel pin 3 main bearing
high performance auto crank. The seal rides on the fly wheel surface, standard VW.

The R-2300 crankshaft is a 4 main bearing aviation crankshaft with a 6 bolt flange.
The seal rides on the crank flange. See attachment.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-02 103857.png
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Return to Other Engines