Fabricating a Motor Mount

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Fabricating a Motor Mount

Postby BobDz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:33 am

For those of you that have fabricated a motor mount for your Sonex, or any other aircraft, how did you go about deciding on 4130 tube diameter and thickness? Professor Google hasn't been very helpful. I really need to find my Bingelis books. TIA if anyone can point me in a better direction.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Re: Fabricating a Motor Mount

Postby kmacht » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 pm

If you can find someone local with a set of A model plans those plans show all the details needed to fabricate the aerovee and jabiru mounts. The B model dimensions will be a bit different but it would be a good starting point.
kmacht

Postby BobDz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:28 pm

kmacht wrote:If you can find someone local with a set of A model plans those plans show all the details needed to fabricate the aerovee and jabiru mounts. The B model dimensions will be a bit different but it would be a good starting point.

Thank you

Now....
Where is Bryan....
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby WaiexB22 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 pm

This is probably not much help, but I did this recently for my Waiex. I ran a stress analysis and overdesigned mine. Full disclosure, I am not flying yet and I have departed way away from the recommended engine options.....I am using mainly 1 and 3/4 inch OD tube with wall thickness from 0.049 to .065 depending on the location. The exceptions are two parallel bars next to my engine and the landing gear legs, which are larger diameter.

KIMG1461.JPG

IMG_0759.jpg
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby lakespookie » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 pm

Keep in mind jabiru mount offsets the nose gear so if you need some clearance that is an option, the Motor mount page includes what loads you need to meet for the motor mount so you could work backwards from that page in the plans depending on your engine selection.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Return to Other Engines