Starting on My Corvair Engine

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Starting on My Corvair Engine

Postby GordonTurner » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi All,

Just returning from CC29 in Leesburg Florida. Started on the building of my own Corvair motor which means dis-assembly and cleaning. Got through that important step, and got the heads and case sent off for the required prep and machining.

If you are building and haven't decided on an engine yet, or if you at least haven't taken a good hard look at William Wynnes Corvair conversion then you owe it to yourself to do some reading. http://www.Flycorvair.net

Corvair College is a pretty unique opportunity. It's a place where you can spend a weekend talking to other builders, from guys just starting out to guys who are flying. You observe people working on their engines in all different stages. Almost certainly you will see builders complete the final assembly and run their brand new motor on the test stand. This weekend there were three of those, possibly four as another was closing in when I had to leave on Sunday early afternoon. Plus you can bounce your ideas off William, listen to his analysis of other motors in the works, and borrow from his extensive collection of specialized tools.

It was the friendliest and most interesting group of aviators I've had the pleasure of hanging out with in a long time, every body is doing stuff. Took my son and his friend, they enjoyed it too.

And the motor sounds REALLY great when it fires up.

Gordon gturner01@aol.com
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Re: Starting on My Corvair Engine

Postby fastj22 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:28 am

What's the availability of good cores to build from? I assume you need a good case and heads. The rest of the parts would be new, right? When did the engines go out of production?

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby GordonTurner » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:52 am

Apparently they built them from 1960-1969. The preferred cores are '65 and later. There are tons of cores out there, guys ripped into at least half a dozen this weekend. It took me three days of poking around to find mine. There are still plenty of corvair nuts out there and they seem to be pulling perfectly useable but unbelievably filthy engines out of totally rusted out beat up hulks that have been sitting behind the barn for decades.

Basically you need the two halves of the case and the two heads.....a lot of the rest can be reused if you want, but is also available new and upgraded and surprisingly cheap.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby fastj22 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:52 pm

What would be a good first step for someone who "might" build one for his next project? Get the Wynne book and read it cover to cover? Will it give me everything I need to know to choose the right donor engine to start with?
I wouldn't mind getting started if it doesn't cost me much. I assume I could sell the project later for what I got into it to another builder if I go another direction.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby vicdelgado9 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Gordon, I was signed up and supposed to be at Corvair College 28 in San Marcos Texas, but I was sent out of state to work in Jacksonville Florida and was not able to make it. I then thought I would stop by Williams place and purchase some of the things I needed to bring back with me, or at least bring my engine mount I ordered from SPA, but as it turned out, my job ended on the weekend William was at the CC29, and Dan has his new Panther project rolling full steam and has his welders going on that full time, so I came home empty handed anyway. But at least my Falcon heads did arrive while I was out of town. I am hoping this will be my year to get my engine completed, at least that is what I am working towards.

I really am happy with my choice of a Corvair for my project and have only reinforced my decision to build it with everything I learn about it. Enough that I am considering another Corvair on my next project as well. I already have the extra core in my shop for that one too. :)
Vic Delgado
Sonex "CorVex" #969 Plans
3.0L Corvair, tail dragger, single stick
Houston, TX
Expercraft Builders Log
complete: tail,wings, welded & angle parts
"Old Corvairs never die, They just earn their wings".
vicdelgado9

Return to Other Engines