RevMaster on Sonex

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

RevMaster on Sonex

Postby Volt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:21 pm

HI everyone.

Some input and experience will be great;y appreciated

Have anyone/know of someone that fitted a Revmaster to a Sonex:

I have a few questions:

1) Does the revmaster fit standard? if not where and how does conversion kits work.
2) Does the engine fit into the standard cowls supplied by Sonex?

What i've read vs the price on the Revmaster,does make it a attractive option...my heart was pretty much set on aerovee,but am i right if i say this is also a VW type of an engine?

If anyone is out there currently flying a Sonex with Revmaster please get in contact with me, i would love to speak to you.
Volt

Re: RevMaster on Sonex

Postby SvingenB » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:23 pm

- and on the Onex

Does anyone have any real world experience on the 2300 engine in a flying aircraft?
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Postby Sonex541 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi there my name is Adam Simmons , I own Sonex 541 , taildragger I have the 2100 revmaster setup , with a sterba prop , I am very happy with it , my good friend Steve is also building 1472 and he was a
Ready to buy the aerovee till I changed his mind he just bought the new 2300 which just got delivered a few weeks ago , he is still a bit away from installing the revmaster , but please email me at
Wstend@comcast.net
To answer any .? U might have ,
Adam Simmons
Sonex 541
Sonex541

Postby Volt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Thank you Adam i will email you!
Volt

Postby jaywa » Thu May 15, 2014 12:31 am

I have a 2300 Revmaster Sonex which I have been flying for about 18 months ( Western Australia).

The standard Aerovee engine mount is used , with a special crossbeam to be installed , supplied by Revmaster.

The cowling has to be modified as the cylinders are quite long ( My tappet covers poke out, the other Sonex being built here has the tappet covers glassed in with bubbles )

A few things to help:
* The best mod to the sonex is the horizontally split cowling mod- highly recommended
* Engine management with the Revmaster requires close attention to EGT's to ensure that plugs don't foul during taxying
* Stay away from Prince props - have had two stress fracture events of the carbon fibre covering
* Get experienced help with the canopy- I went through 3 disasters before I got on top of it ( IE NO CRACKS )

Happy to help with any other info or tips

Jay Pienaar ( ex RSA )
jaywa

Postby Sonex541 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:00 pm

I have been using a sterba prop since new and I just hit 90 hours , on the revmaster , I have been thinking about goin with a p tip carbon fiber prince prop , I see you had some issues with yours , ??
Sonex541

Postby jaywa » Fri May 23, 2014 12:09 am

Yes, I have two failures, both repairable as they were minor stress fractures of the carbon fibre covering (not the wood core ). However In both instances, Prince has promptly replaced them( the second one still on the way ) with new props, without hesitation ( around 10 and 82 hours ) .
Lonnie Prince explains that the new resin formulation is much improved, and I am now comfortable with this after a discussion with him. I am still keen to stay with Prince because of the great prop performance and the product support aspects
On prop performance it is interesting that my static rpm ( around 3100 rpm ) is more than my take off and climb out rpm ( 3080/3050 rpm ) due the prop twist action coarsening under flight conditions, a feature of the P tip prop.
jaywa

Postby Volt » Fri May 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Ho Jaywa.

Thnx for the reply and helpfull tips. Would you be able to give me an email address I can communicate with you? Im very curious about the Revmaster cylinders and cowling mods you mention.

Also what is your average density altitude you fly from?
Volt

Postby Volt » Fri May 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi Jay. I see now you say "exRSA"!!! Will be gr8 to chat to you.
Volt

Return to Other Engines