Rotax Engine Mount?

Rotax 912 series discussion.

Rotax Engine Mount?

Postby mcjon77 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:55 am

Hi Guys,

After a multi-year hiatus on my project, I am getting back to building. One thing I am considering is using the Rotex 912UL or 912ULS engine for my plane instead of the Jabiru. I know that several of the European guys use it, and I communicated with a building in Ecuador who switched to the 912ULS from the Aerovee, and he was quite helpful.

Does anyone know where the guys in Europe got their engine mounts from. The gentleman in Ecuador modified his Aerovee mount, but I was wondering if the Europeans had plans for an engine mount, or if someone sold a completed mount,

Any info would be helpful.
Jon
Back To Building (after long hiatus) Sonex #1287
mcjon77

Re: Rotax Engine Mount?

Postby onex28 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:37 am

Titan has a Rotax mount for their T51 and Tornado. You should be able to modify it. In fact there may be a Titan builder who decided to go V6 and has a mount available. Try their forums and www.titanaircraft.com.
onex28

Postby mcjon77 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks for the tip. I considered doing something like that (taking a rotax engine mount from another type of plane), and I came to the conclusion that it puts me in the same position as simply modifying a Jabiru/Aerovee engine mount to fit the Rotax (which other Rotax powered Sonex builders have done). I was just checking to see if there was a more permanent solution.

I guess that I will just wind up emailing some of those guys to see if they got their engine mount from somewhere in particular. I hope google translate does a decent job converting my email to French, Italian, and Portuguese. :)
Jon
Back To Building (after long hiatus) Sonex #1287
mcjon77

Postby skyflies » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi mcjon,

I am in the same boat as you! I'd love to know what you learn about the Rotax mount for the Sonex.

I was also thinking about asking one of the Rotax dealers in the US if they could recommend a local shop to fabricate a mount for the Sonex. I asked several of them at Airventure this year and almost all of them said it could be done, but couldn't give me more specifics without going back and drawing up a design.

YK (formerly in Mundelein, IL, and now in Fremont, CA) :)
skyflies

Postby bishoff7 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:34 am

If anyone is still interested in a mount to fit up a 912 to a standard aerovee mount I have just finished a prototype and it is a good fit under the universal cowl . it does however place the prop hub forward of where the aerovee sits by 15 mm this being unavoidable .This mount replaces the original rotax ring mount and bolts directly to the standard shock rubbers on the aerovee mount thus eliminating the need to modify anything. Any interest let me know

Regards Bish sonex 1178
Cbishoff6@bigpond.com
bishoff7

Postby gcm52 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:54 am

bishoff7 wrote:If anyone is still interested in a mount to fit up a 912 to a standard aerovee mount I have just finished a prototype and it is a good fit under the universal cowl . it does however place the prop hub forward of where the aerovee sits by 15 mm this being unavoidable .This mount replaces the original rotax ring mount and bolts directly to the standard shock rubbers on the aerovee mount thus eliminating the need to modify anything. Any interest let me know

Regards Bish sonex 1178
Cbishoff6@bigpond.com

Would you post some photos? I am interested in what you have come up with!
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby bishoff7 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:36 am

Photos in a couple of weeks
Regards Chris
bishoff7

Postby jaywa » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:14 am

Guess a 3 bladed prop is required - also what about weight and balance issues?
jaywa

Postby ihab » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi Chris --

bishoff7 wrote:Photos in a couple of weeks

Ping? :)

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby garyb » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:25 am

bishoff7 wrote:If anyone is still interested in a mount to fit up a 912 to a standard aerovee mount I have just finished a prototype and it is a good fit under the universal cowl . it does however place the prop hub forward of where the aerovee sits by 15 mm this being unavoidable .This mount replaces the original rotax ring mount and bolts directly to the standard shock rubbers on the aerovee mount thus eliminating the need to modify anything. Any interest let me know

Regards Bish sonex 1178
Cbishoff6@bigpond.com

Hi Bish
How does the 15mm effect the cowl fitting. I am thinking of shifting mine forward about that much because the Rotax is quite light.
Cheers Gary
Sonex #1531 Rotax 912ULS. 250 hours and counting.
garyb

Next

Return to Rotax