First photos of new Jab engines

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

First photos of new Jab engines

Postby peter anson » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:22 am

This appeared on the Australian Recreational Flying forum. http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/jabiru-engines.146232/page-5
Peter
Sonex 894
peter anson

Re: First photos of new Jab engines

Postby fastj22 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:49 am

It looks good. Not very compatible with my old school Jab though.
I don't see through bolts and it looks like the cylinders are aluminum, not steel.
From their Facebook page, it also looks like they are machining this in house.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby sonex892. » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:07 am

fastj22 wrote:I don't see through bolts and it looks like the cylinders are aluminum, not steel.

I saw the 2200 at the Narromine October last year. The 2200 had a cast case. The guy from Jabiru said the barrels were Nikasil lined, cast aluminium. From the photos the 3300 appears to retain the billet crankcase. They do have through bolts, they're laid out in the first photo, they are longer and appear clamp the heads/barrel not just the crankcase and barrels. I really hope it turns out to be a reliable powerplant.

That Nikosil is tough stuff. I recently tore down my 30 year old 800 cc BMW bike, just to replace seals for its many oil leaks. It was the first time it had been pulled apart since new. The barrels were like new.
Steve .
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby fastj22 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:21 am

From Facebook....If I converted properly, looks like the new engine is around $15500 US.

Additional Information on the Generation 4 Jabiru Engines:-
Firstly, there will be no increase in price for the new engines. The 2200 is AU$15,950 inc gst and the 3300 is AU$20,900.00 inc gst
There have been 1,300 flight hours performed during development of the engine, plus the mandatory 200 hour endurance run for the ASTM standard.
We have one 3300 and two 2200 Generation 4 engines in aircraft at the moment and one Generation 4 3300 engine waiting to be installed in a new factory built J230 that is currently on production.
To answer the question we have been asked on the sealing of the heads. The head is screwed on to the barrel similar to Lycoming and Continental except that we also have 4 long through bolts which are terminated in the cylinder heads. This in effect seals the heads to the barrel as well as the thread and holds the cases together. There is no periodic maintenance required on these bolts.
Pistons have been redesigned to suit the different expansion rates of the aluminium cylinders.
The flywheel assembly has been redesigned to reduce its rotational mass. The connection to the crankshaft is a nil maintenance item.
Oil consumption is dramatically reduced. Our experience to date is that it is not necessary to top up the oil between oil changes. This is due to running much smaller clearances between the pistons and the barrels. This is possible because the barrels expand away from the piston as the engine heats up.
The alternator is ventilated to improve cooling.
We have an improved system of clamping inlets and exhaust pipes to the cylinder head using a heavy o-ring on the inlet and a circular section copper ring on the exhaust with a single 4 legged clamp, similar to motorcycle practice.
The Generation 4 engines retain the valve relief pistons, roller follower cam and double valve springs however the camshaft on the 2200 is not interchangeable with Generation 3 engines as the cylinders have been made identical. The cylinders for the Generation 4 engines now fit both 2200 and 3300 engines. Previous generation 2200 engines had left and right hand cylinder heads. The bore, stroke and compression ratio have not changed.
The weight is slightly less than the current engine.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Concorde » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:15 pm

You are correct. 1 AUD = .76 USD
But I don't believe that it's going to last long !
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Return to Jabiru