2017 Sonex Mile-High Fly-In

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

2017 Sonex Mile-High Fly-In

Postby sonex1374 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Fellow Sonex Builders, Pilots and Friends,

I'm pleased to announce the third-annual "Sonex Mile-High Fly-In"! Please come join builders and pilots from all across Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas and greater Rocky Mountain region for an afternoon of camaraderie and information sharing.

The event will be held near Colorado Springs, CO, at Meadowlake Airport (KFLY), May 20, 2017. Fly-in's and Drive-in are welcome! Arrivals will start around 8:00 am, and the programs at 10:00am. We'll have burgers and dogs on the BBQ for lunch.

The presentations will be informal and interactive, allowing current builders and pilots the chance to pass along what they've learned to others. Some of the topics will include "Flying the AeroVee Turbo", “Tuning your Aero Injector”, and "Refining your Engine's Cooling System".

Several of our local pilots plan to give "Sonex Smile Rides" as a way to show off the attraction of a Sonex and to hook future builders!

Meadowlake Airport is situated south of Denver's airspace and at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. It's easy to get in and out, and makes a great destination. This year we'll be located at Carl Benda's sparkling new box hangar, with all the amenities and plenty of hangar space for overnight parking. If you plan to stay overnight, several hotels are close by, and dry camping is also available on the field.

Come out and support the Colorado Sonex Mile-High Club and make some new friends in the process! I look forward to a great turnout.

2017_Mile_High_Fly-in_ Flyer.jpg

Event website: http://www.sonex604.com/mile_high_2017/

For more information or to RSVP, please contact me at sonex1374@gmail.com, or John Gillis at fastj22@yahoo.com. See you there!
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: 2017 Sonex Mile-High Fly-In

Postby fastj22 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:49 pm

MAY 20th, 2017!

We stood up a Colorado Sonex website to host this event. We'd like to turn it into a regional portal for all things Sonex. Builders, flyers or anyone interested in all things Sonex are invited. Colorado Springs has lots of tourist activities. We can help arrange stuff if you need.

Carl is pulling out all the stops to show off his new mega man cave hangar. He's got a shower, bathroom (yes flushing), laundry, office, kitchen, and new fancy pancake griddle and grill. Camping available. Shoot us an email. flying@coloradosonex.com.

http://www.coloradosonex.com/

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby kuhtenia » Wed May 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Hey all - new member here. I plan on being at this event, and look forward to meeting some of the Sonex community in person (and see if I can match the face with some of the podcast voices!).

I am almost done with my private pilot training (Diamond DA-20 is my flight school platform; should have the check ride done in about a month) and am contemplating what next to do. Am interested in perhaps a Waiex/UL Power set up, have chatted with the associated folks at Sun 'n Fun last month, compared specs, and all of that, but have not actually been up flying in any of the Sonex products yet. [I suppose that would be helpful, eh?!] Weather permitting, I would really like to be able to join up with someone for a spin.

Thanks,
David Kuhtenia
kuhtenia

Postby sonex1374 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:37 am

We're getting close to the date, with only about 2 weeks to go. If you're anywhere near Colorado Springs, plan to come out and spend the day with the Sonex Mile-High Squadron on May 20th! It will be a fun, laid-back affair, with good food and camaraderie, and a good chance to spend some time with other Sonex builders and enthusiasts.

See you all there!

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Kansas City, MO
sonex1374

Postby sonex1374 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Team Mile-High is hard at work for this weekend, getting the facilities in order and prepping the pork-butt for some of the best BBQ west of Kansas City! If you plan on attending, please drop John Gillis a note so he can ensure we have enough food on hand. If you'd like to camp at the airport, Carl Benda can give you all the details on the hangar and surrounding grounds, or recommend several local hotels just a few minutes away.

And, to further whet your appetite, rumor has it that we might have a visit from Bob Carlton in his SubSonex! There is another SubSonex just up the road in Denver, and we might even get two jets or pilots at the event.

Come out and spend a few hours with us. If should be a fun time!

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Kansas City, MO
sonex1374

Postby kmwoody » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi Jeff,

Do you have a report on the Mile High Fly-in? I'm guessing the turnout wasn't too good because of the weather. I really wanted to make it from eastern Iowa but the whole of IA and NE was socked in, as you probably already knew.

I am going to plan to make it every year until I get there. I can't wait to see the mountains loom in the distance.

Hope you will plan the fly-in again.

Ken W
Sonex 959
CAMit 330
kmwoody

Postby fastj22 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:24 pm

kmwoody wrote:Hi Jeff,

Do you have a report on the Mile High Fly-in? I'm guessing the turnout wasn't too good because of the weather. I really wanted to make it from eastern Iowa but the whole of IA and NE was socked in, as you probably already knew.

I am going to plan to make it every year until I get there. I can't wait to see the mountains loom in the distance.

Hope you will plan the fly-in again.

Ken W
Sonex 959
CAMit 330

Weather broke for us local guys. We had 5 sonex/waiex attend and several builders and prospects drive in.
Met builders from El Paso Tx, Santa Fe Nm, Laramie Wy, and a few from the Denver area.
Carl did a good expo on the Turbo Aerovee and each flyer talked about their planes.
We plan on another flying next fall. Carl also showed off his "new" NanChang CJ warbird.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby intoaircooled » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Overall it went well and I think everyone enjoyed it and the pulled pork BBQ. Planning on having something this September. Mostly wanting to have a flying, fun, food and fellowship day or two.

We will get the word out once we have a date and venue. You can keep updated via the website or facebook

www.coloradosonex.com

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=colorado%20sonex
Carl Benda
A&P
Intoaircooled Engines
Barn find Sonex 048 AeroVee 2.1 Turbo
intoaircooled

Postby kmwoody » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:22 am

Thanks for the update on the fly-in. Sounds like it was a pretty decent day. I'll be looking forward to information on the fall fly-in.

Ken W
Sonex 959
CAMit 3300
kmwoody

Return to Fly-Ins