Attaching the wings with bolts?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Attaching the wings with bolts?

Postby rpf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 am

Hello, my name is Randy and I'm new to the group. I just purchased a onex project and I'm excited to get started on it.
I have a question, probably a dumb one, instead of the wing locking pins can the wings just be bolted on? I don't have a need to fold the wings so it just seems to make sense to bolt them.
rpf

Re: Attaching the wings with bolts?

Postby dallen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi Randy, When I was building my Onex I asked a similar question while I was at the factory. The response was I could but I would suggest you should ask tech support that question for your own piece of mind.
Dave
dallen

Re: Attaching the wings with bolts?

Postby Onex107 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:38 pm

I suppose you could. The pin hole is to be drilled and reamed to 3/8, and you would want a good fit on both top and bottom bolts. But why do it? You won't save any time to speak of. The latch mechanism doesn't take much time to install, and if and when you sell it the new owner will want that and he will have to remove the wing skins to install it. There are advantages to folding. When you work on the main gear, brakes, bearings, airing the tires, the folded wing makes it much easier to get at the wheels. When I do the annual polish/cleaning, the bottom of the folded wing is done also. Transporting the plane to the airport, the wings are left home and attached in the hangar and only one bolt, the top pivot, is necessary to put in through the inspection hole. I was able to share a T hangar with a Cessna 150 for a year by folding one wing and parking next to the wall. The Onex is short enough to park in the short side of a hangar, and even now when I am by myself, I taxi into the hangar head first. The wings don't clear the narrow back end but there is plenty of room behind to close the door. The back end of the hangar becomes your work shop and the engine is right there under a hanging fluorescent light. Keeps the hangar clean also.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Return to Onex