Sonex Virtual Fly In #2

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Re: Sonex Virtual Fly In #2

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi all,
Robbie, im sure you’ll do a great job as atc! on the job training. I’m watching the zoom news releases,
im sure they are working hard on the software and security issues. Is there anyway these could be recorded?
people that couldnt join in at the time could watch at a later time, giving us something to do as we sit at home.

art not sure if you flew into osh before , but there are a few small lakes west of oshkosh. rush lake is a holding point. when the arrival flow is shut down that lake area holding is a real beehive. hopefully robbie wont have to put many in holding!

First and foremost is everyones health. im sure we all know someone who has been impacted by the virus.

Airventure 2020 , probably a foregone conclusion. . airfares, hotel, car reservations, well good luck , but many companies may be bankrupt by then.

Best of health to everyone.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
Last edited by WaiexN143NM on Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaiexN143NM

Postby NWade » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:24 pm

WesRagle wrote:Hi Robbie (or anyone who can answer a question)

How does Zoom make money? I'm not going to get roped into something costly am I?

Thanks for Your Time,

Wes

Wes (and others) - Zoom (and other services like it) makes money by charging a monthly fee for the meeting host/organizer’s account; attendees are free.

And for anyone that wants to test out your setup ahead of time: Windows 10 has a built in “Camera” app and a built-in “Voice Recorder” app. You can run them to check that your camera and microphone are working correctly. If they don’t work by default, don’t just change them in the app; instead go to the main Windows Settings panel and change the default devices (usually under the “System” -> “Sound” settings, and under the “Devices” or “Privacy” -> “Camera” settings).

Enjoy,

—Noel
Sonex #1339
IT Veteran
NWade

Postby WesRagle » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:25 pm

Hi Noel,

Thanks. I have an old Samsung tablet. I was able to download the client. My daughter downloaded the app to her phone and we were able to set up a meeting and fool around with the features. It all seemed to work OK. I'll attempt to join a meeting from the shop tomorrow. That will require that my tablet be connected via the hot spot on my phone in a metal building. We'll see if the bandwidth is adequate.

One complication is that the lens on the back of the tablet is all scratched up. It's flush with the surface and gets abused every time I lay the tablet down (no case). So, I can't use the backside camera.

We'll See,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Matt541 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:43 am

Cool, looking forward to it!

Just make sure some of you take pics this time, it might end up in a Kitplanes article. ;P

WaiexN143NM, yes they can be recorded through a separate program. I do have the appropriate software and could do so if people would like. I would most likely make it an "unlisted" video as it would have everyone's faces and names, unless people would want it to be public. Then share it on here and the FB group.

Robbie, what do you think about recording it?
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:08 am

This is just my personal opinion.

I do not see a huge value in recording this. It is not an organized, informative webinar. It’s a social event. For example, last evening I watched an fantastic EAA webinar “Airspace for dummies” that is recorded. There is significant value in having the ability to go back and replay this.

If this were a fly in event such as ASA used to do at Crossville, I doubt many would feel comfortable if we tried to record every conversation.

This event is meant to bring the community together in a virtual environment, during a period when we cannot meet physically. And for many of us, actually getting together would be difficult even under normal circumstances.

If I recall correctly, one year at the ASA fly-in held in Crossville, TN, there were 40+ Sonex aircraft of many variants. We had 45 people last weekend in our virtual event.

Please add your thoughts here.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:10 pm

Hi all,
Robbie thanks for your post. also matt, thanks for your expertise and offering. i understand if anyone of the participients would not want it recorded. everyone would have to agree for it to be recorded.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby sonex1374 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:48 am

Robby,

My thoughts are similar to yours. This is just a fun hangout, and we're not really organized to produce anything longstanding. I don't think that Zoom is the right platform for making recordings anyway - it's like recording a conference where you're focusing on the audience rather than the speaker :-)

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby Sonex1517 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Don’t forget to join us at 3 pm tomorrow for our virtual fly in!

This week, we will hear from two people - one who has been keeping quiet about a very interesting project, and one doing an engine conversion.

UL 260is 107HP
ONEX #178
Jeff “Stork” Meyer

Jabiru 3300 conversion
Michael Farley Waiex #0056

I’ll confirm with an ATIS post tomorrow.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby mike.smith » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:29 am

Matt541 wrote:Just make sure some of you take pics this time, it might end up in a Kitplanes article.

On a Windows machine, Windows keyboard button + Print Screen saves an instant screen shot as an image to your Pictures/Screenshots folder.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:55 am

Please keep in mind that I have an extremely warped sense of humor....

* Stay well away airport information Alpha, time 1955 Zulu

* Wind 180 at 5

* Visibility 10 miles, skies clear

* Temperature 20, dew point 8

* Altimeter 30.08”

* Runway 18 in use

* Remarks:

Maintain six foot minimum spacing at all times.

Taxiway Alpha closed due to parked aircraft. Runway 9-27 closed due to runway contamination.

Pilots discussing politics can expect to be told to fly Rush Lake holding pattern.

Pilots failing to observe minimum spacing can expect to be quarantined for 14 days.

All pilots read back runway and hold short assignments.

Meeting ID 595 392 2944

* Advise on initial contact you have information Alpha
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517