Sonex Virtual Fly In #2

Announce and discuss upcoming fly-ins

Re: Sonex Virtual Fly In #2

Postby n307tw » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:09 pm

This was very cool for the few minutes I could tune in. Unfortunately at work today, so could only get on when I could step out of the ER for a bit. Hopefully I am off for the next one! (Unfortunately I work every weekend). Thanks for organizing this Robbie!

-Tim
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:07 pm

Tim, thanks for joining us!

We had 37 people at one point today, I think, including friends from Ecuador and Australia.

I really want to thank Jeff “Stork” Meyers and Michael Farley for being gracious enough to show off their work. I think that made today a very interesting “fly-in” and sets the tone for future events!

Stay safe everyone!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:26 pm

Just got logged in and dang - there went the Internet - it's windy here.... Sounds like I missed a good one.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: Sonex Virtual Fly In #2 (Oil Separator)

Postby sonex1374 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:44 pm

Mike,

I mentioned my oil separator and how it was mounted. You can see it in my FWF Tour Video (skip to 6:15).

https://youtu.be/nH-qmiaySdQ?t=373

The separator unit itself is a homemade unit using two empty cans. I use SeaFoam fuel treatment additive cans and they are perfect - right diameter, steel casing with nice bottoms, and work really well. Construct the body by joining the bottom halves of two cans together using a joiner ring cut from the top half of one can and sealed with an oil-proof sealant or gasket-maker compound (https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1252795-StikN-Seal/dp/B005UJM86K). The inlet and outlet are made from 1/2" dia aluminum tubing epoxied into place using a metalized epoxy putty (available from most hardware stores - https://www.jbweld.com/product/steelsti ... utty-stick). The interior can be left empty, or you can add baffles, or coiled springs, or heavy-duty stainless steel pots scrubbers, or whatever.

These unit work perfectly, and easily fit under the cowl. Parts come mostly from the scrap bin, and the design can be modified to suit your particular application. Lastly, the separator unit is nice and close to the engine, where it stays hot enough to NOT condense water vapor, and the vapors continue out the breather hose while the recovered oil gravity flows back into the breather tower on the engine.

Give it a try ... you'll like it.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby WesRagle » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Hi Guys,

GraemeSmith wrote:Sounds like I missed a good one

Yep, that was a lot of fun. I'm not one to jump on the "latest thing", but that's some worthwhile technology. Thanks to Robbie, Mike, and Jeff(s) for putting it together. Also thanks to all who attended. I walked back to the house and found the latest parcel from ACS on the porch. Now I'm stoked and ready to work on the final final details.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby TheFrisco » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 pm

This was a great virtual fly-in today, informative and fun. THANKS!!!

Sonex1517 wrote:This Saturday at 3 pm Central Time, we are going to try Sonex Virtual Fly In #2.

There is only one email invitation sent out, so anyone other than Jeff receiving an invite please ignore it in the unlikely chance it is spoofed.

Meeting ID: 595 392 2944

Password is the same as last time - the original model, not the Y model or the One X. First letter is capitalized.

In a continued effort to herd cats, I mean pilots, I will do my poor imitation of ATC. Saturday morning I will update with a confirmation and ATIS. The ATIS information will be the security question if I am unsure of who you are, in the unlikely event we get uninvited guests. (This is to address security concerns)

- Again, no politics, or you will be sent into a hold over Rush Lake for at least 5 minutes.
- At the start, I will MUTE EVERYONE and teach people how to unmute themselves.
- If you need to speak while someone else is speaking please raise your hand. Be polite. I will tell everyone how this works at the beginning of the meeting.
- As we go on, I will be muting people who forget to unmute. If you consistently unmute when you are not talking, I will let you know and also send you to the Rush Lake hold.

I will try to answer questions.

Mute-control is super important to keep the audio (and video) from getting jumbled, though if you mute yourself the moderator cannot unmute you.

I will post the content outline as soon as it is finalized.

Thanks again everyone for being patient as we learn the best way to do this.
TheFrisco

Previous

Return to Fly-Ins