Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri May 17, 2024 4:38 pm

kmacht wrote:If you sit too long with the secondary ignition, radios, lights, etc all on you will quickly deplete the battery capacity down.

Of all those loads, the ignition is the biggest. The radio doesn't draw much when not transmitting. We always turn the secondary off on the ground. We use both ignitions to start, and after it has warmed up a little the secondary comes off.

We always run strobes, but only use nav lights for night flying. The landing/taxi lights go to wig wag mode after we takeoff and shut down the secondary.

It's only 20A but if you manage the loads it is enough.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Hambone » Fri May 17, 2024 5:04 pm

kmacht wrote:On the ground the battery has always been a bigger concern than overheating for me. The alternator on the aerovee puts out little to no amperage at idle. It does t really start charging until around 1500-2000 rpm. If you sit too long with the secondary ignition, radios, lights, etc all on you will quickly deplete the battery capacity down.

Bryan Cotton wrote:
kmacht wrote:If you sit too long with the secondary ignition, radios, lights, etc all on you will quickly deplete the battery capacity down.

Of all those loads, the ignition is the biggest. The radio doesn't draw much when not transmitting. We always turn the secondary off on the ground. We use both ignitions to start, and after it has warmed up a little the secondary comes off.

We always run strobes, but only use nav lights for night flying. The landing/taxi lights go to wig wag mode after we takeoff and shut down the secondary.

It's only 20A but if you manage the loads it is enough.

More great information. Thanks!
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Mon May 20, 2024 6:04 pm

As I prepare to return to Pennsylvania to pick up the Sonex, I’m getting the jitters reading about all of the AeroVee vapor lock and overheating issues here in the forum. There seems to be an awful lot of after-build mods that are necessary to alleviate the overheating and vapor lock issues. Not being an engineer, or particularly mechanically-minded, it gives me cause for concern. I’m beginning to wonder if the AeroVee is the engine for me.
Hambone

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon May 20, 2024 7:12 pm

I think every build is a little different. I also think the people with the biggest issues tend to be the most vocal. I'd try it out and then decide if it is for you or not. Just my opinion.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Scott Todd » Mon May 20, 2024 9:13 pm

You've probably heard all this but l'll repeat it here for future readers. I think most Sonex owners have had this conversation with other people. First, its an Experimental airplane. I think many people these days think its the same as a certified airplane. They in fact have an airworthiness certificate. Its just issued in the Experimental Amateur Built category. One of the BIG differences is that ANYONE can work on an Experimental airplane. Any Schmo can tear the engine apart, use whatever parts they want, and even use hardware store stuff on them. We accept this. We also pay VERY special attention to the maintenance and operation of them. More so than a typical pilot that gets in a Cessna or Cherokee and takes off. If you want to just be a pilot and get in and fly when you want, perhaps Experimental Aviation isn't for you.

Please don't quote this post. We can all scroll up to read. That way I can edit it if needed.
Scott Todd

Postby daleandee » Mon May 20, 2024 9:50 pm

Hambone wrote:As I prepare to return to Pennsylvania to pick up the Sonex, I’m getting the jitters reading about all of the AeroVee vapor lock and overheating issues here in the forum. There seems to be an awful lot of after-build mods that are necessary to alleviate the overheating and vapor lock issues. Not being an engineer, or particularly mechanically-minded, it gives me cause for concern. I’m beginning to wonder if the AeroVee is the engine for me.

FWIW ... I was the first to respond to you when you started this thread. I ended that post with this statement, "I'm a Corvair zealot these days but the little VW worked well enough to make me fall in love with the airplane."

No one can answer the question for you concerning the Aerovee. I flew an Aerovee powered Sonex for 175 hours and decided that it wasn't the engine I wanted in my airplane. The reasons for that decision are only important to me. There have been a number of folks that began with the Aerovee engine and later on went with another option. A few here have went to a Jabiru 3300 to replace the Aerovee (I won't call names but they may speak for themselves).

My research led me to Corvair power. Obviously it's not the choice everyone would make as it's not factory supported and it exceeds the FWF weight limit set by the company (as many other options have proven to do). If you are interested in why I did what I did there is a thread on here that gives a lot of information about the research and the reasons I have for using Corvair power (currently the thread is locked - I don't know why that is).

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4273&hilit=justification

You will know much more once you get to the plane and get some time flying it in the local area. If you don't feel comfortable enough in it to fly it home you can always pull the wings, put it in a box truck, and drive it home. There's nothing wrong with being careful and having trepedation about such a long flight in a new to you airplane.

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue May 21, 2024 10:11 am

Hambone wrote:As I prepare to return to Pennsylvania to pick up the Sonex, I’m getting the jitters reading about all of the AeroVee vapor lock and overheating issues here in the forum. There seems to be an awful lot of after-build mods that are necessary to alleviate the overheating and vapor lock issues. Not being an engineer, or particularly mechanically-minded, it gives me cause for concern. I’m beginning to wonder if the AeroVee is the engine for me.

Not that I'm trying to start an argument with anyone or make you question your decisions, but I am one of the many (former) AeroVee owners that never had vapor lock issues on my engine throughout the 7 years and around 400 hours I flew behind that engine. I know some people report this problem, but I can't help but wonder how many people spend hours fixing this issue when it doesn't exist? I fly behind Lycomings and Continentals that burp a little on hot taxi situations; it's just what engines do!

You've flown in your Sonex, so let me ask: did you have any overheating issues or other problems when you were flying it? Did the plane fly well and the engine run well?

And Dale is correct...I happen to be one of those people that pulled my AeroVee and replaced it with a Jabiru 3300. Why? Simple...I wanted to climb and cruise faster! Where is my old AeroVee? Sitting in my hangar, hopefully waiting to get installed on a Onex someday!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Hambone » Tue May 21, 2024 2:40 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I think every build is a little different. I also think the people with the biggest issues tend to be the most vocal. I'd try it out and then decide if it is for you or not. Just my opinion.

Great point, Bryan! Why would anyone start a thread about how their AeroVee runs perfectly with no issues? The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so they say.
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Tue May 21, 2024 2:45 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:

You've flown in your Sonex, so let me ask: did you have any overheating issues or other problems when you were flying it? Did the plane fly well and the engine run well?

It did not have overheating issues until I pulled the nose up and slowed in the climb. As soon as I accelerated back to 90, all was good. The builder claims to have never had a vapor lock issue, so that is reassuring.
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Tue May 21, 2024 2:50 pm

daleandee wrote:

FWIW ... I was the first to respond to you when you started this thread. I ended that post with this statement, "I'm a Corvair zealot these days but the little VW worked well enough to make me fall in love with the airplane."

No one can answer the question for you concerning the Aerovee. I flew an Aerovee powered Sonex for 175 hours and decided that it wasn't the engine I wanted in my airplane. The reasons for that decision are only important to me. There have been a number of folks that began with the Aerovee engine and later on went with another option. A few here have went to a Jabiru 3300 to replace the Aerovee (I won't call names but they may speak for themselves).

My research led me to Corvair power. Obviously it's not the choice everyone would make as it's not factory supported and it exceeds the FWF weight limit set by the company (as many other options have proven to do). If you are interested in why I did what I did there is a thread on here that gives a lot of information about the research and the reasons I have for using Corvair power (currently the thread is locked - I don't know why that is).

https://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic ... tification

You will know much more once you get to the plane and get some time flying it in the local area. If you don't feel comfortable enough in it to fly it home you can always pull the wings, put it in a box truck, and drive it home. There's nothing wrong with being careful and having trepedation about such a long flight in a new to you airplane.

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel

The Jabiru 3300 sounds like an amazing match for the Sonex/Waiex. That extra 50% power must be amazing. The Corvair conversion sounds great, too.
Hambone

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training