Weight & Balance

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Weight & Balance

Postby rizzz » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:12 am

I'll be doing my W&B this weekend and I've run into a question about the mean aerodynamic cord on a Sonex, which I understand starts on the leading edge of the wing and ends on the trailing edge.
However, given my unconventional engine the tip of my spinner which will be my datum point might be slightly forward compared to the 53" in the manual, hence I need to measure this again to correctly position my MAC and then calculate the corresponding 20-32% MAC positions.
However, which leading edge do I measure to? On the Sonex one wing is positioned slightly forward of the other isn't it? (Can't remember which is the forward one).
Should I measure both and get the average position? (Which would make sense given it's called MEAN aerodynamic cord).
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby DCASonex » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:37 am

Average of two leading edges sounds reasonable. I have a 5/8' prop spacer and simply established the datum point for my plane as 5/8" behind the tip of the spinner. That keeps all other reference dimensions same as Sonex handbook. Should be able to do same (with different dimension) for yours.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Rynoth » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:49 am

Good question! I just watched Joe Norris' W&B video and he doesn't mention using a specific wing or combining the wings, though he does use the right wing when demonstrating how to measure (which was probably just convenient to the camera angle.) I don't think the leading edges are offset by much more than about 1/8 - 1/4" (the left wing is forward of the right wing.)

About 6 minutes in:

http://bcove.me/lf0ipgpx
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby fjdoug » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:59 am

I left the datum where it is and re-drew the spinner, my spinner is 1/2" behind the datum.
fjdoug

Postby rizzz » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:52 pm

Response from Sonex, "It does not matter":
It won’t matter which leading edge you measure from as the difference is .125” at the most and that is level of accuracy beyond what matters. However, if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty just for the sake of the math, you could measure both and average. Just know that the it won’t matter as nothing on the Sonex is that critical.

Good to know, that explains why Joe does not mention this either in his EAA W&B videos.
Michael
rizzz

Postby rizzz » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:02 pm

I did my Weight and Balance yesterday, here's how she turned out:

Left Main: 143 kg (315.2 lbs)
Right Main: 142 kg (313.0 lbs)
Tail Wheel: 17 kg (37.5 lbs)

Total: 302 kg (665.7 lbs)

Empty CG: 22.3% MAC
Most adverse forward CG: 22.7% MAC
Most adverse aft CG: 31.8% MAC
Michael
rizzz

Postby STONE » Thu May 23, 2024 5:48 pm

gammaxy wrote:The Sonex wing chord (Mean Aerodynamic Chord or MAC--distance from leading to trailing edge) is 54". The 20%-32% utility CG limits correspond to 10.8" and 17.3" aft of the wing's leading edge (54" * 20% and 54" * 32%). You could use the leading edge as your 0 datum, but most people (everyone?) follow the example in the flight manual: http://www.sonexaircraft.com/support/manuals.html where the 0 datum is the tip of the spinner and is defined in the manual as being 53" ahead of the wing's leading edge. Putting the datum at or beyond the spinner makes it so you never have to mix negative and positive datum locations.

In this case, the forward and aft limits are 63.8" and 70.3" (10.8" + 53", 17.3" + 53") aft of the tip of the spinner.

To complicate things slightly, I doubt most people plumb bob from the tip of the spinner. They probably either use the leading edge of the wings or more likely the forward corners of the aluminum fuselage sides and add an offset to get the distances relative to the spinner (the fuselage corners are also defined in the manual, but I don't have my manual with me now, but it was the most convenient measurement for me to use).

Thank you very much Chris.
Are the data you posted referred to the Sonex-B?

Mario
STONE

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu May 23, 2024 6:58 pm

STONE wrote:Thank you very much Chris.
Are the data you posted referred to the Sonex-B?

Mario

Welcome Mario! If you check out Chris's blog or posts here, you will see he has an A model. The B will have the same datums. Check out this graphic from Sonex:

If you do a non-standard engine you may need to figure out an updated datum.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu May 23, 2024 8:15 pm

I stand to be corrected - Datum point is just the point at/from which all measurements are taken/rferede back to.
You do not have to use the Sonex recommended tip of spinner (especially if not using the Sonex spinner).
In fact most homebuilts use the leading edge of the wing, in recognitions that there can be diffrent engined/propeller/spinner combinations.
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu May 23, 2024 11:15 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:I stand to be corrected - Datum point is just the point at/from which all measurements are taken/rferede back to.
You do not have to use the Sonex recommended tip of spinner (especially if not using the Sonex spinner).
In fact most homebuilts use the leading edge of the wing, in recognitions that there can be diffrent engined/propeller/spinner combinations.

You can absolutely set any datum you want. The key thing is to make sure you have the correct percentage of MAC (mean aerodynamic chord) so you are in balance. And under gross of course.

If I had a Sonex with an engine sticking way out, I'd still use the stock location as the datum. Why confuse things? Also it was an older post but we absolutely used plumb bobs off the spinner, wing leading edges, and so on. I used to be responsible for W&B at our Sikorsky facility in NY.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex