Aeroconversion brakes

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Aeroconversion brakes

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:46 am

Any users of the hydraulic brakes have any difficulty getting the pistons into the brake body and if so how did you get them in? I just can't get the pistons in past the O rings.

Peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Re: Aeroconversion brakes

Postby Kai » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:08 pm

Well, yes, they are a tight fit.

I got mine in by whetting both the caliper bore and the piston with brake fluid. Then force the pistons into the caliper with a twisting motion. Be careful not to damage the o-rings; this will invariably result in a leak.

Best to be prepared for a failure or two before you get the hang of it, so get yourself a small supply of spare o-rings from Sonex.

Also, take care to align the piston properly with the bore when inserting- if not you could nick the piston. A grade in the piston rim could cause scratches in the bore causing leaks.

Thx
Kai
Kai

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:14 pm

Kai wrote:Well, yes, they are a tight fit.

I got mine in by whetting both the caliper bore and the piston with brake fluid. Then force the pistons into the caliper with a twisting motion. Be careful not to damage the o-rings; this will invariably result in a leak.

Best to be prepared for a failure or two before you get the hang of it, so get yourself a small supply of spare o-rings from Sonex.

Also, take care to align the piston properly with the bore when inserting- if not you could nick the piston. A grade in the piston rim could cause scratches in the bore causing leaks.

Thx
Kai

A new set of pistons & o rings went in just fine...thanks. Another issue I am seeing is that with the brake pucks installed (pistons and pucks in as far as they go) the pucks lock tight against the disc when the 3/4" axle nut is made up. There is still wobble meaning the nut isn't tight enough to properly seat the bearings. I wondering if the solution is to install a thin washer between the brake body and the bearing dust washer to give just a little room between the puck and the disc allowing the axle nut to tighten the assembly against the brake body and not the brake pucks?
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby builderflyer » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:34 am

pfhoeycfi wrote:
I wondering if the solution is to install a thin washer between the brake body and the bearing dust washer to give just a little room between the puck and the disc allowing the axle nut to tighten the assembly against the brake body and not the brake pucks?

That's correct. Shim with a thin washer or two as needed to obtain the needed clearance for the pucks.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B